“Central Catholic High School Equity and Engagement is striving to build relationships, support, and empower students from all backgrounds and lived experiences.”
At Central Catholic, our mission is to live out Catholic Social Teaching in pursuit of justice and peace, by demonstrating the virtue of solidarity with all of our brothers and sisters.
We believe that equity and community engagement are at the heart of this mission and that by understanding ourselves and others, we can move with greater purpose towards this mission. Central Catholic recognizes that we live in an increasingly global community where race, gender, identity, class, and ability all intersect and we must be intentional in recognizing, understanding, and celebrating the differences that make us unique, while fostering the values that we share.
At Central Catholic, we work to foster an inclusive environment throughout the school by providing opportunities to engage with classmates from diverse backgrounds to understand and appreciate varying perspectives and opinions. In addition, faculty and staff participate in on-going professional development to ensure cultural competency. Through education and awareness, the Office of Equity and Engagement provides students the opportunity to honor and understand the diverse world in which we live, in cultivating empathetic effective leaders, and agents of change.
• CULTURAL COMPETENCY: Practicing an ongoing awareness of one’s own identity and biases, and taking action to learn and honor the varying cultural and community norms of students and their families
• DIVERSITY: The range of differences represented in our community.
• EQUITY: Everyone getting what they need in order to have access, opportunities, and a fair chance to succeed.
• INCLUSION: Active engagement that supports every individual’s identity and sense of belonging.
• MULTICULTURALISM: The practice of promoting the respectful coexistence of diverse cultures.
Black Students United (BSU) is a group designed to enhance the experience of Black Students at Central Catholic High School. Our mission is to empower Black Students to be unified, and develop a healthy support network to assist the students in adjusting and being accepted in the larger Central Catholic community.
- Mentorship - Older Students (Juniors and Seniors) serve as ‘mentors’ to Freshmen and Transfer Students. Big brothers and sisters support incoming students by making themselves available to answer questions for students as needed.
- Advocacy - Student concerns are communicated directly to the Dean of Students and the Principal of the school. By having this direct communication, the administration can directly assist the students by addressing concerns in a timely manner.
- Peer support - Students are able to provide peer support to one another when addressing common, multiple issues that take place in the Central Catholic Community.
- Skill building - Students are taught how to resolve conflicts in a pro-social manner. Other skills such as anger management and assertiveness are discussed and role-played to assist students in developing the appropriate skills to handle tough situations.
- A safe place to express concerns - BSU provides a confidential environment where students can safely express concerns.
- Knowledge of Self - BSU is determined to empower the student to learn more about their history and culture.
- Peer-to-Peer Discussions - BSU has been actively involved in enhancing the community by participating in student forums. BSU has also visited Wellness classes to evoke healthy discussion in a safe environment and promote acceptance and understanding among the student body.
- Education - BSU stresses the importance of success in the classroom.
- Leadership - BSU will develop and promote leaders within the community.
The Asian/Pacific Islander Club is an inclusive community of staff and students who identify with Asian and Pacific Islander heritage and culture. Our mission is for every individual to have a mutually supportive and safe learning environment. Each person has a voice to speak on their thoughts. We celebrate and share our traditions with each other and the entire Central Catholic community. All are welcome!
- A safe space to discuss current issues and events within and outside of our community
- Awareness about mental health and support for one another
- Allyship with other affinity groups
- A safe space to be yourself and express any concerns
- A strong sense of community
- An opportunity to learn more about your own and other cultures and history
Mission: To provide the students of our community a place of support, acceptance, and celebration for who they are as unique and beautiful children of God.
- This is a safe zone.
- You can be who you are here.
- You will be respected for your religious beliefs, gender identity, race, national heritage, sexual orientation, and abilities.
- Harassing or disparaging comments will not be tolerated.
- All comments, opinions, or anything shared shall remain confidential among all those present.
LatinX Student Union is an association of Latinx students--by ethnicity or experience-- and allies. This union is inspired by Christ, who built a community of mutual support, faith and work to uplift the downtrodden and oppressed. Thus, we gather at Central Catholic to support each other in our education, to develop a critical awareness of important issues experienced and faced by our Latinx community, to attract more LatinX students to our school, and to help each other resist and overcome all challenges and barriers placed before us.
La Unión de estudiantes latinx es una asociación de estudiantes latinx—por origen o experiencia—y sus aliados. Esta unión se inspira por Cristo, quien construyó una comunidad de apoyo mutuo, fe y obras para levantar al rebajado y oprimido. Entonces, nos reunimos en Central Catholic para apoyarnos en nuestra formación escolar, para desarrollar una conciencia crítica de los asuntos importantes que experimenta y enfrenta nuestra comunidad latinx, para atraer más estudiantes latinx a nuestra escela, y para ayudarnos a resistir y conquistar todas los retos e impedimento que se pone ante nosotros.
We are an allied group of independent women from all walks of life. We have unique stories and cultivate a positive narrative of feminism. We discuss and address the world issues of misogyny and patriarchy. We confront it and we challenge it until one day women are equal. We support, we educate, we empower. We are Women’s Coalition.
ISU Mission Statement
The Indigenous Student Union seeks to empower Central Catholic indigenous students and their allies to explore their heritage, celebrate traditions, and develop a strong sense of cultural identity. We are a support network, a safe place to discuss social and political issues, and a force for positive change for indigenous people in our local community and beyond.