Preparing for College
At Central Catholic, we realize that students have many choices about their future; however, over 98% of our students will attend a two- or four-year college or university. Central Catholic is committed to providing its student body with ample resources to aid in the college selection process:
- Students work with counselors to create an individualized four-year plan.
- Full-time College Counselor, Teri Calcagno '85, works directly with students and families.
- Students and families receive information and are encouraged to attend many college planning events.
- A monthly college planning newsletter is sent to all junior families beginning in December and all senior families throughout the year.
Teri Calcagno '85 - College Counselor
ACCESS NAVIANCE STUDENT HERE:
College Visits at Central Catholic
Representatives from a variety of four- and two-year colleges and universities will be on campus to meet with students. The admission representative typically presents information about their institution and then allows time for students to ask questions. Students should make the effort to meet with college representatives when they visit Central Catholic or host evening receptions. It gives college reps an opportunity to get to know you, answer your specific questions, and lets them know that you are genuinely interested in their institution. It is to your advantage to learn as much as you can about a college before you apply or visit the campus.
- Which colleges are visiting Central Catholic? Visits will be advertised in Naviance Student in the "What's New" section, daily announcements, and outside the Counseling Center.
- How do I sign up for a visit? Students sign-up for visits in Naviance Student. Then, they need to pick up a College Visit pass from the Counseling Center and have their teacher sign it at least one day in advance of the scheduled visit.
November 14 - NACAC Virtual College Fair from 10 am to 3 pm PT
Learn, connect, ask questions, and discover a wide range of colleges and universities. Click HERE for a list of participating colleges. Sign up at virtualcollegefairs.org in advance.
Virtual Christian College Fair through November 19
Explore the comprehensive virtual college booths at any time through November 19. Interact LIVE with reps from each college 4 to 7 pm PT on these dates:
Wednesday, November 10
Thursday, November 18
Register at https://myblueprintstory.com/
TEST PREPARATION RESOURCESKhan Academy - Free personalized practice for the SAT test. “20 hours of practice on Khan Academy is associated with an average 115 point score increase from the PSAT/NMSQT to the SAT, nearly double the average gain without Khan Academy.”
ACT Academy - Free, personalized practice for the ACT.
Portland Community College - Learn strategies for taking the ACT and SAT tests to maximize your score, developing skills applicable to any standardized test. Covers general strategies for the Reading, Writing and Language, Math and Science Tests as well as the Essay. For ages 15-17.