Mission

Central Catholic High School is a college preparatory school committed to educating students from diverse backgrounds in a Catholic community, challenging each individual to live as a Christian witness in service to others.

What Makes Central Catholic Unique?

Strong Catholic Identity

  • Students grow in faith, spirituality, service, and character at Central Catholic
  • Throughout their four years, students take classes in Scripture, Church History, Sacraments, Liturgy and Prayer, Moral Theology, Social Justice, and Christian Relationships.
  • Daily Mass is offered in the Peggy Jean Memorial Chapel, and there are monthly all-school Masses held throughout the year.
  • Students are given opportunities to live their faith through the Christian Service Program, by serving at sites across the Portland area including the Oregon Food Bank, St. Andre Bessette Catholic Church, Special Olympics, and the Blanchet House.

Challenging Academics

  • Upon graduation, our hope is that students are faithful and just people who excel academically, are relational and responsible, and are healthy and balanced.
  • Central Catholic offers 20 advanced placement courses, and 23 honors courses.
  • Through the P.C.C. Dual Credit Program, students are given the chance to earn college credits while meeting the requirements to graduate at Central Catholic.

Welcoming Community

  • Every school year, Central Catholic students are given over $2 million in financial aid and tuition assistance.
  • Students4Students, Central Catholic's student led fundraiser, raises close to $300,000 yearly for tuition assistance.
  • Half of our student population receives financial assistance in the form of financial aid, scholarships, and grants.
  • While 73% of our students are Catholic, the beliefs and traditions of the remaining 27% of our students are respected and welcome.

Rich Program of Co-Curricular Activities

  • With performing and fine arts classes in drama, music, visual art, ceramics, stained glass, writing, and photography, students are encouraged to find their creative outlet.
  • While instilling a sense of fair play, sportsmanship, and a commitment to excellence in student athletes, Central Catholic’s athletic programs have claimed 38 championships and 32 second place finishes in state competitions.
  • Students interested in design and journalism are given the opportunity to join the staff of the Rampart, our school newspaper, the Scepter, our yearbook, or the Reverie, our student literary magazine.
  • Finally, with more than 35 clubs, from the Latino Student Union to the Chocolate Club, there is something for everyone at Central Catholic.

Individuality

  • At Central Catholic, we want you to “Be Challenged. Be Yourself. Belong.”
  • Our student body is both socioeconomically and racially diverse. Over 30% of our students are self-reported minorities, and half of our students receive some sort of financial aid.
  • In 2014, our freshman class came from 70 different grade schools from all over the Portland area and southwest Washington.
  • Central Catholic also welcomes students of diverse academic backgrounds and has introduced Student Support Services to provide assistance to students who need help reaching college preparedness.

History

In 1938, Portland’s Archbishop Edward D. Howard was seeking funds to build an all boys Catholic high school in Portland.  With Christ the King as the School Patron, the first five classrooms, a library, office and recreation room were dedicated as part of the Archdiocese Centennial Celebration on May 9, 1939.  The Archbishop along with the Apostolic Delegate, Archbishop Amleto Cicognani, blessed and dedicated the building.  
       



On September 5, 1939, classes began with Fr. Francis Schaefers as principal and director of the school. The faculty during the first year included another priest and five sisters who taught classes.  Only freshmen and sophomores attended Central Catholic, but the classes expanded over the next two years and Central Catholic soon became a four year school.  In 1942, Central Catholic graduated its first class of 17 students. Central Catholic became coed in 1980, with the first coed class graduating in 1983 with 91 boys and 30 girls.

The school has grown considerably and serves students and families from every corner of the Portland Metro area, including southwest Washington. As we have grown in size, we have also developed stellar academic programs and outstanding athletic teams. Our students attend the best colleges and universities in the country and our athletes go on to play at the highest levels of competition. With our storied past in mind, we are hopeful that Central Catholic will continue to be a top provider of education in the Portland area long into the future.